The recently released soundtrack for the critically acclaimed film 12 Years a Slave features two stripped-down tracks by Gary Clark Jr., as well as new recordings from Grammy-award winners Alabama Shakes and John Legend, who curated the release.
Clark’s contributions include “When The Sun Goes Down”—a song that has been covered by an array of artists since the mid-1930s, including Lonnie Johnson and Big Maceo—and “Freight Train”—a tune that was written by Elizabeth Cotten and covered by such artists as Joan Baez and Pete Seeger.
Also featured on the soundtrack are nine-time Grammy-award-winner Alicia Keys, Chris Cornell and film composer Hans Zimmer. A digital version of the soundtrack is available now and the CD version will be released on November 19 via Columbia Records.
Music From and Inspired By 12 Years a Slave tracklist
1. Tim Fain – Devil’s Dream
2. John Legend – Roll Jordan Roll
3. Gary Clark Jr. – Freight Train
4. Tim Fain and Caitlin Sullivan – Yarney’s Waltz
5. Alabama Shakes – Driva Man
6. David Hughey and Roosevelt Credit – My Lord Sunshine (Sunrise)
7. John Legend feat. Fink – Move
8. Hans Zimmer – Washington
9 .Gary Clark Jr. – (In The Evening) When The Sun Goes Down
10. Alicia Keys – Queen Of The Field (Patsey’s Song)
11. Hans Zimmer – Solomon
12. Laura Mvula – Little Girl Blue
13. Chris Cornell feat. Joy Williams – Misery Chain
14. Topsy Chapman feat. Chiwetel Ejiofor and Cast – Roll Jordan Roll
15. Tim Fain – Money Musk
16. Cody Chesnutt – What Does Freedom Mean (To A Free Man)