Brittney Spencer has announced her highly-anticipated debut album, My Stupid Life, due on January 19 via Elektra. As a preview of what’s to come, the artist has delivered the lead single off the set, “Bigger Than The Song,” which captures her ability to triumph on the fringe of the genre periphery with honest, free-spirited songwriting. Listen now.
The forthcoming album presents 13 tracks, which aim to capture Spencer’s 10-year experience while trying to make it in Nashville and the unexpected process of finding herself along the way. The introspective look at the Baltimore native’s rise frames her extensive journey to generate an album that is an unapologetic look inward.
My Stupid Life was mostly recorded at Sound Emporium Studios and Blackbird Studio in Nashville. The album is produced by GRAMMY award-winner Daniel Tashian (Kacey Musgraves, Little Big Town, Brett Eldredge), with the exception of two tracks, the lead single, “Bigger Than The Song,” produced by Marcus “MarcLo” Lomax, and “New To This Town” which received the full treatment from Romil Hemnani.
“This feels like a long time coming. It took me three years from the time I released my first EP, Compassion to now to release my first album. These songs serve as my introduction to country music and I wanted to give them all the time and care that they (and my fans) deserve. I wrote a lot of songs from the back corners of my mind because I wanted to take a good, deeper look at myself and create something true to who and where I am at this time in my life,” revealed Spencer via press release.
“The more I put the pen to my feelings and thoughts, the more I realize I’ve heard similar sentiments throughout my life. Through making this album, I’ve learned we’re not alone in our heads, and I hope this album hugs the tiny, loud parts of our overthinking brains that sometimes need it most,” she concluded.
Scroll down to view the official tracking list for My Stupid Life. Pre-save the set now.
My Stupid Life Tracklist:
1. “New To This Town” (Brittney Spencer)+
2. “I Got Time” (Spencer, Jessica Cayne, Nate Campany, Emily Reid)
3. “Night In (Phone Call)”
4. “Night In” (Spencer, Cayne, Summer Overstreet)
5. “Bigger Than The Song” (Spencer, Jennifer Anne Wayne, Tofer Brown)*
6. “My First Rodeo” (Spencer, Cayne, Sean Douglas, Zach Skelton)
7. “The Last Time” (Spencer, Sean McConnell, Sarah Buxton)
8. “Deeper” (Spencer, Tayla Parx, Gustav Landell)
9. “First Car Feeling” (Spencer, Cayne, Kat Higgins)
10. “Desperate” (Spencer, Emily Falvey, Mikey Reeves)
11. “If You Say So” (Spencer)
12. “My Stupid Life” (Spencer, James Brock Human, McConnell)
13. “Reaching Out” (Spencer, Joe Kirkland)