Yesterday, New West Records and Pedernales Records shared details surrounding Live Forever: A Tribute To Billy Joe Shaver, a new 12-track album that will feature accompaniment by many colleagues and admirers of Shaver, including Willie Nelson, Margo Price, Nathaniel Rateliff, Edie Brickell, Steve Earle and more. Live Forever: A Tribute To Billy Joe Shaver is due to be released on Nov. 1.
In addition to the news of the forthcoming tribute album, the folks behind the album have also released the first track off the new album, which features Nelson and Lucinda Williams collaborating on “Live Forever.” Stream the song below.
The forthcoming album pulls several tunes off Waylon Jenning’s 1973 breakthrough album, Honkey Tonk Heroes, which features a plethora of notorious Shaver-penned songs. Live Forever: A Tribute To Billy Joe Shaver includes Rateliff taking on “You Asked Me To,” Rodney Crowell covering “Old Five and Dimers Like Me,” and “Honky Tonk Heroes” performed by Amanda Shaver.
Moreover, the album also sees contributions from Nelson on “Georgia On A Fast Train,” while Price covers the 1981 track “Ragged Old Truck” off Shaver’s LP, I’m Just An Old Chunk Of Coal. The latter’s title track is also included on the new album and carried by Miranda Lambert.
Live Forever: A Tribute To Billy Joe Shaver is available for pre-order here.
Live Forever: A Tribute To Billy Joe Shaver Tracking List:
- Live Forever – Willie Nelson with Lucinda Williams
- Ride Me Down Easy – Ryan Bingham with Nikki Lane
- Old Five and Dimers Like Me – Rodney Crowell
- I’m Just An Old Chunk Of Coal (But I’m Going to Be a Diamond Someday) – Miranda Lambert
- I Couldn’t Be Me Without You – Edie Brickell
- You Asked Me To – Nathaniel Rateliff
- Willy The Wandering Gypsy and Me – George Strait
- Honky Tonk Heroes – Amanda Shires
- Ain’t No God In Mexico – Steve Earle
- Ragged Old Truck – Margo Price
- Georgia On A Fast Train – Willie Nelson
- Tramp On Your Street – Allison Russell